Welcome to Howard Dobbs Elementary School, an exemplary school with a proud tradition of academic excellence. The school’s almost 600 students excel in a nurturing environment that inspires them to do their best. Because of the impressive academic performance of its students, Howard Dobbs Elementary School is a mentor school for others in the state.
It was Rockwall’s only elementary school when the building opened in 1970. In 1979 the name of the school officially became Howard Dobbs Elementary school. Since that time, three additions have increased the size of the facility. The 1998 $2.6 million capital improvement project completely renovated and modernized the school.
The school’s name honors the memory of a respected educator, Robert Howard Dobbs, a former coach, science teacher, and principal of Rockwall Elementary School and Rockwall Junior High during the 1950s and 1960s. A native of Bonham, Texas, he was a veteran of World War II. He began his teaching career in Bonham in 1933. Before coming to Rockwall he coached football in east Texas. With his wife Pansy, he became popular Rockwall merchant owning a grocery store on the Rockwall Square. Mr. Dobbs was also president of the Lion’s Club, Sunday School Superintendent at the First Baptist church, and the mayor of Rockwall. His humor, intelligence, and love for children set him apart and enriched the lives of all who knew him. The school and its library are named in his honor. Mr. Dobbs actually began the school library by donating some of his own books. Regrettably, Mr. Dobbs died in 1969, just before the opening of the school he helped to design.
School Mission Statement
The mission of Howard Dobbs Elementary School is to provide a supportive and challenging learning environment in which each student will have the opportunity to develop his/her academic, social and emotional potential.
Breakfast Served from 7:30 am – 7:50 am
Residents north of I-30 to Squabble Creek, east of SH 205 to the city limit line, east of FM 1141 to property south of Cornelius Road and east to Camp Creek, and south of SH 66 to Ben Payne; and south and east of railroad tracks to Brandy Creek.